Entries must be dropped off at the Welcome Table along with their ingredient lists. Entries should be clearly labeled with the contestant’s contact information. The contest begins at 11:00 am in the historic area at the curing barn. Read the rules below, grab a team, and sign up!
Looping Contest Registration Form
Duke Homestead Tobacco Stringing / Looping Contest Rules:
1. Teams of 3 will compete - one looper and two handers.
2. Time will begin when looper has stick on horse and string on his/her hands. Time will end when string is tied off and broken.
3. Teams will be judged on time as well as quality of stick
4. Points will be awarded for the following:
Bundle size (3-4 leaves in each)
Evenness of leaf heads in bundle
36-38 bundles per stick
Evenness of bundle heights on stick
Holding ability (Judges will hold stick and shake to check for looseness)
5. All teams will use the same ball of tobacco string
6. Total points scored and time will determine the winners.
7. The word of the judges will be final.